Friday, March 6, 2009

Kierkegaard quote

My comment in class about the relationship between philosophical thinking and life as we live it got somewhat confused as I tried to wrap it around the wrong quote. The quote I had in mind but couldn’t find comes towards the end of the Merman excursus (Sorry I don’t have the same text most of you do):

“If along with other things, philosophy were also to think that it just might enter a man’s head to want to act according to its teaching, we would get a strange kind of comedy out of it.”

Philosophy is about thinking, which it takes to be a very serious business indeed. Kierkegaard is attempting to understand, and, in an appropriate way, to teach the paradoxes of faith as they are thought in the Abraham story. So his teaching constitutes a thinking, a thinking that may be joined by those willing to deal with the profound complexities of true faith. A guide to action it’s not. But I’m sure you already knew that.

No comments:

Post a Comment