Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Continental philosophy is starting to look a little more familiar today

This section of reading was much easier for me to follow with the lack of tangents running through every explanation. So now that Kant has brought about the split and the continental philosophers are left with what to do with nihilism and the death of reason there starts to be reforming of what to do in philosophy as far as continental philosophers are concerned. A tradition beings where philosophy is a reaction to the crisis's of the present and a critique of current events and structures, even of the current view of time . It seems the chapter is claiming that at least for a little while philosophy becomes trademarked by the theme of reaction to the present. This examination of history and reaction to the present coupled with the nihilism Kant left philosophy with leads to an outbreak of philosophy which very concerned with the human experience including place and time. The nihilism they are confronted with leaves them only with the ability to understand the human experience because it is all they have the ability to know anything about and still only in a subjective way as a human. If I understood this chapter correctly then I know feel much less confused with how we went from worrying about nihilism to doing the type of continental philosophy that I have read in previous classes. This had earlier confused me because I felt that much of what I had read in previous classes had not really addressed the issue of nihilism directly, or in some cases at all in my opinion. Now I am feeling a little better...that is if I do understand what this chapter is talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment